[cma-l] mobile technology and community radio

Associated Broadcast Consultants info at a-bc.co.uk
Mon Sep 5 17:28:47 BST 2011

Clive,

I've not tried it for STL, but I believe the free Sonos 4 software
http://www.burnill.co.uk/index.html has functionality that you can use for a
low latency link.  The software is pretty demanding on PC's processors
though, so you need some PC's with "grunt"!

Text from website copied below.

Glyn

www.a-bc.co.uk

The audio over IP function (STL).

This enables studio to transmitter links using Ogg/Vorbis encoding that
achieves FM like quality at 64kBits/s. A normal ADSL broadband feed can be
used to a remote site. The link can feed multiple sites limited only by the
available bandwidth of the Internet connection.(The software has a limit of
eight feeds).
The other use of the link is for outside broadcasts or feeds from remote
studios. The link is low latency (adjustable)and bi-directional for such
linking.
The STL uses a peer-to-peer method using UDP packets. There is a
server-client method of establishing UDP peer-to-peer connections. This is
an aid for sites that do not have a fixed IP address.
The STL link implements virtual RS232 Serial Data ports for remote control.
The serial data link is bi-directional.