[cma-l] mobile technology and community radio

Alan Coote alan.coote at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 5 17:19:18 BST 2011

We¡¯ve used, a number of solutions as below;

1)      We borrowed an AudioTX codec which worked well over 3G and DSL ¨C A
latency of 3 to 4 sec is typical so 2 ways are not practical.

2)      Barix Instreamer and Extremers have a latency of about 1 second over
normal DSL. Not tried them on 3G but I suspect it would work Ok.

3)      Skype works great, we even did an OB from Spain and used it locally
over 3G. There is no real control over quality and latency so will dropout
without warning when network gets busy.

4)      COMREX Access was used for a big OB over several days a couple of
weeks ago. It worked well with  3G until 50,000 people descended on our
location. I didn¡¯t have a chance to use Vortex¡¯s  V3X Intelligent 3G
Booster which may have helped.

We also do non-realtime OBs by Voice Tracking directly into the Myriad log
¨C works brilliantly for presenter led shows and gets over most of the
vagaries of the internet. A gotcha is that Myriad doesn¡¯t like Remote
VT-ing into its current hour ¨C it can be done but care is needed to hit
hard timing markers.

Solution not tried;

1)      Luci Live iPhone / PC ¨C used to some extent by the BBC¨C I heard
BBC wanted better licensing terms

2)      Tieline  Report IT Live for iPhone ¨C requires the Tieline Bridge IT
codec which pushes up the price. I had a demo by a radio journo¡¯ as we were
both at the resent Red Arrows crash.

Hope that helps.

Alan

Alan Coote

The Bay Radio

Office 01202 580200

Studio 01202 571028

Mobile 07801 518858

Email alan.coote at thebayradio.com

Web www.thebayradio.com <http://www.thebayradio.com/>

The Bay Radio, 25B Elliott Road, Bournemouth, BH11 8LQ