[cma-l] Westminster Hall debates: BBC Local Radio, 26th October 2011

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Thu Oct 27 11:07:26 BST 2011

Damian Collins (Folkestone and Hythe, Conservative):

> Like all of us, I champion my BBC local radio
> station, in Kent, for its excellent work. Does my
> hon. Friend agree that we should not forget the
> excellent work of independent local radio,
> particularly community radio stations, which
> provide an excellent voice for local people at no
> cost to the taxpayer?

Stephen Gilbert (St Austell and Newquay, Liberal Democrat):

> My hon. Friend makes an eloquent point, and I
> agree with him entirely.

[...]

Edward Vaizey (Parliamentary Under Secretary of State (Culture,
Communications and Creative Industries), Business, Innovation and
Skills; Wantage, Conservative)

> I would also like to mention Jack FM and Heart FM
> in Oxford. It is important to remember the role of
> commercial radio. The BBC has two thirds of radio
> listeners, so it starts from a high base, but
> commercial radio stations are also popular in our
> local areas. Let us not forget, either, community
> radio. I give credit where it is due—that is a
> great achievement, one of the few of the previous
> Labour Government. There are now 220 community
> radio stations around the country.

Hansard source (Citation: HC Deb, 26 October 2011, c98WH):
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201011/cmhansrd/cm111026/halltext/111026h0001.htm#11102653000665

\\

https://www.facebook.com/CommunityMediaAssociation