[cma-l] Recent CMA Council meeting

Phil Shepherd phil at somersetfilm.com
Mon Oct 17 20:35:45 BST 2011

Dear members and friends

The CMA Council met in London on 8th October.  A good and positive meeting
focusing on the draft business plan for the organisation which we look
forward to circulating to you soon for comment.

It's been a while since we had the certainty to look forward with any
significant degree of financial certainty but this year is looking
(cautiously) encouraging, despite very narrow margins and of course the
global economic picture!

Some of what we talked about -

* CMA charter - still under revision, version 12 will be available for
comment soon - plenty of time for further reflection  and amendment too as
it will eventually need to come to the 2012 AGM for ratification
* Role of Council in supporting staff to increase and widen membership and
to offer more services
* Canstream - Bill and Rob doing a great job with the newsletter,
contributions from members always welcome!
* Euranet - ten CR stations contributing weekly to pan European broadcasting
network, co-ordinated by Prescat
* Sector representation and lobbying
* Funding bids - ongoing on many fronts
* BBC/CR content sharing pilots - Bristol and East Anglia
* New Communications Bill - our response and member engagement
* New CR licensing roll out
* Local TV updates
* Regional updates
* Arts Project update and review

Not to mention cash flows and budgets!

We will come back to you soon with draft charter revisions and business
plan.

Best wishes

Phil

Phil Shepherd