[cma-l] DCMS consultation meetings on amendments to communityradio law

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Mon Oct 17 10:35:55 BST 2011

I would second that.

I don't think anyone would be likely to notice the effects of doubling or even quadrupling power in typical circumstances, but it will improve the noise and interference margin, so improving the signal quality across a wider range of propagation conditions.

Finding a good elevated aerial position for your intended patch can be far more productive, and although it may mean more intial work or capital expense, once done it is likely to cost no more in upkeep than a poorly sited antenna, while even saving you the extra electricity that a more powerful transmitter would have taken!

For maintenance or repair we have on occasion reduced our 600W erp to 40W - a fifteen-fold reduction - and it is remarkable how small a difference it makes to coverage and reception quality (although in adverse conditions it would definitely show up). We lose coverage of one small settlement, and get more in-car 'flicker' in some parts of the patch, but the core is relatively unaffected.

However, it's a complex set of interactions, and you really need the use of good propagation prediction software and antenna modelling in the hands of a knowledgeable operator to predict the likely cost benefits of increased Tx power versus antenna design and siting. (Cue Ian?!)

Alex