[cma-l] DCMS consultation meetings on amendments to communityradio law

Associated Broadcast Consultants info at a-bc.co.uk
Mon Oct 17 09:08:47 BST 2011

Regardless, transmitter power probably makes a lot less difference than
people expect - even if you doubled the power it would probably be difficult
for most people to tell the difference in a blind test. (If I'm honest with
myself I don't think I could tell with just a radio to judge).

The biggest impact on coverage (positive or negative) is transmitter
(aerial) position  - which could easily double (or halve) your coverage
depending whether it is a good or bad position.

If you have coverage problems, having ruled-out faults, the path of least
resistance first of all is to look at your transmitter site, and see if
there could be a better location. If your transmitter is at your studio,
then STL's (Studio Transmitter Links) might not cost as much as you think
and they give you much more freedom over this important variable.

I think there are bigger impediments to CR than licenced transmitter power!

Glyn Roylance
www.a-bc.co.uk