[cma-l] DCMS consultation meetings on amendments to community radio law

Alan Coote alan.coote at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 14 16:31:48 BST 2011

Hi Jaqui,

Here's my top 3;

1)	Remove the limit of 5km defining what constitutes a 'community';

a.	Its arbitrary, unfair and there is no good technical reason for it.

b.	We can evidence how this has adversely affected our community and
the people and businesses in our area.

c.	Technically the protection ratios and signal density given to
existing commercial radio and local BBC harks back to the less technically
advanced mid 70s so there is room for increase CR coverage without affecting
existing services

2)	Remove the 50% limit on advertising income.  What were they
thinking!? This should have never been in the regulation;

a.	Limiting income does nothing to define community radio

b.	It does not protect commercial radio; We can evidence where we have
created a new market for radio advertising and have subsequently given
commercial radio new clients.

c.	Existing grants and donations have all be dried up, so making CR
dependant on smaller income is stifling  CR and may even be killing it.

3)	Forget that FM will be vacated leaving space for new CR stations.
This is quite possibly the most dreamy of all the UK radio aspirations -
analogue FM is not the future and CR shouldn't be content the eventual
wilderness of an FM band.

a.	There should be a top level agreement to provide the UK with a
Digital Radio 2.0 - (feel free to use that!)

b.	Digital Radio 2.0 should include DRM+ and Internet (in time for 4G
mobile streaming) and an Electronic Programme Guide

c.	Develop a 10 year digital radio policy - Sometimes you have to dig
up an existing road to build a new one. The UK has a tradition of leading in
communications but now is significantly trailing many western and even third
world countries.

Hope that helps
Alan

Alan Coote
Business Development Director
The Bay Radio
Office 01202 580200
Studio 01202 571028
Mobile 07801 518858

Email alan.coote at thebayradio.com
Web www.thebayradio.com
The Bay Radio, 25B Elliott Road, Bournemouth, BH11 8LQ