[cma-l] Making Media Matter?

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Tue Nov 15 16:18:08 GMT 2011

There is of course a fine line to tread to stay within the law on these things.

It is illegal for a UK radio station to seek to influence the decisions of statutory bodies on any matters other than those that have a direct effect on the interests of the station.
It is also illegal to promote (eg accept advertsing or sponsorship from) bodies seeking to do the same. All you can legally do is report the activities of those bodies in an 'impartial and balanced' manner.
In other words, political campaignign by radio stations is not permitted and, I know from experience, that the regulators define 'political' in the broadest possible sense.

For example, we were prohibited from advertising a meeting being held locally by a group seeking to influence the decisions of a national conservation charity. The regulators ruled that as the body was established by statute, its decisions were those of a 'statutory body', and so we couldn't promote the activities of someone seeking to influence it.

This means, for example, it is illegal for you to promote or endorse, say, a campaign against proposed cuts in council services in your area (eg swimming pool closures), unless the cuts would specifically and directly affect the business interests of the radio station (eg a cut in grants to community groups).

Just worth bearing in mind!

Alex