[cma-l] Fwd: Ofcom Update: Proposed Code on the Prevention of Undue Discrimination between Broadcast Advertisers

Ian Kennedy irkennedy at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Nov 7 10:38:14 GMT 2011

It was always my understanding that this was the case though it would be good to get it in writing. The tricky bit is getting agreement and objectively defining what you aren't going to accept. The most obvious stuff is prohibited anyway, other stuff will probably generate debate within the station as there is less agreement. If you're careful and stick to your guns I think this is less problematic, though, than charging different rates, providing some free advertising, etc. and it's good to get a bit more clarity on that.

I've more hands-on experience of advertising from RSLs than CR and I did once have a situation where a break-away traders' association took significant advertising (a long ad in virtually every break throughout the week) and once we went on-air the original traders' association decided they wanted to advertise too. I could legitimately have said we had no more advertising space but there would always have been the perception of bias. I think I resolved it by introducing advertising at the weekend which seemed to keep everybody happy and was pretty lucrative.

Ian Kennedy