[cma-l] Local Digital Radio

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 4 08:04:39 GMT 2011

In technical terms it's very simple.
All it needs is one B III channel group to be cleared - not necessarily the same one nationally but one that isn't currently occupied in each discreet location - and a transmission system installed the same way as with Community Radio.
The only slightly unusual port of the chain is the digital encryption module - otherwise the RF or digital STL, the transmitter, cable, antenna and structure are all effectively off-the-shelf.
We could put one together now in about 6 weeks if the licensing were available - which it's not.
But the big obstacle here is - which encoding system are we going to use?
DAB (= Deadend Audio Broadcasting) - or one of the many others?

Ian Hickling
Partner
transplan UK