[cma-l] Avoiding sexually-explicit songs

LOL GELLOR lolgellor at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 2 17:07:05 GMT 2011

Ian/Alex/Trevor et al

Again I should re-iterate what follows is my personal opnion and does not represent any organisation with which I may otherwise be assoicated.

Thanks for taking the time to respond Ian and Alex - and hello Trevor

I said don't bother to lecture me on legal implications  - your comments
are of course always welcome Ian, and it is not for me to tell you what, or what not to say, well that's what I believe anyway.

The disclaimer which was used and heard on Sound Radio is not a proposal it is a statement of historical fact, the existence of which may be of
interest to some people.

Ian - your view
that watersheds, disclaimers, assertions of ethnic or social parity are
excuses for not doing the job properly thankfully is not directed at any one person - I would hate for you run the risk of possible legal action - I'm joking but I hope you will take the point that use of
language (appropriate or inappropriate) is not just a question of
expletives - because something appears civilised does not mean it is
automatically right or accurate and because something appears rude
does not mean it is of neccessity wrong or inaccurate.

To be honest I don't think the issue is whether you swear when someone
drops a hammer on your foot from the top of the antennae or whether you
personally find Billy Connolly funny so that you then feel it is
acceptable to mimic such similar content. It would appear you believe
your sensibilities are shared by your known audience which may be an
accurate observation, or maybe they are just being polite (joking).

You may never know all your broadcasting audience like the chap down the pub believes he knows all his pals -
but for Community Radio there is this small matter of a promise of
delivery which quite clearly sets out an agenda to target particular
groups and individuals - and therein lies the core of its creation
(Community Radio) as something distinct and different from either the
BBC or the Commercial radio sector  - and notably with a desire to achieve social gain for those ill served or not served at all by mainstream media.

I honestly believe some people may be getting the legislative duty of
Community Radio confused with that of commercial  ILR's. Social gain is
achieved by the active engagement of all of our citizens and that is
endorsed in the principle that all should have the opportunity to have a voice - whether you like what they have to say or not,
or in deed how they want to say it. The current sensibility of the
mainstream, and clearly a proportion of the community radio sector to
some extent,  would appear to endorse some kind of utilitarian view of a
democratic society, where the majority decide what's good for everyone - which is okay unless you happen to be outside the majority.

There are plenty of opportunities to indulge as a listener/viewer in
mainstream media output in all its glory but there are precious few
legal and available platforms for alternatives - that is the point - for me anyway.
Why offer such programming? because some people may actually want it,
enjoy it and think it is an important part of their lives- while you and me may not want it -  who are we to judge! Have an opinion yes but to
judge and preclude?

My experience of risk taking content with a range of communities in the
same physical space was probably the greatest example of developing
social cohesion I have witnessed -  there was debate, dialogue -with an
albeit required level of tolerance - which showed real signs of a move
towards mutual respect from all those contributing and demonstrably
listening. Yep that's right you don't like what were broadcating please
come in and take part in a show to put your view in person (not in a
read out funny voice for 5 minutes once a week).

I am not encouraging anyone to disregard the requirements of Civil and Criminal law, that is a personal choice with personal consequences - but intelligent challenge - legislative campaigning where necessary -these are the very activities that the CMA and others pursued to bring about the legislation that now provides us with the opportunity to have a good old debate (might even make a half decent radio programme if we can keep the swearing to minimum)

Here is to a healthy and diverse sector - as ready to row as it is to tolerate - (I may use that as a personal strapline)

all best
Lol