[cma-l] Youth Broadcasts

Andrew David adavid at lincoln.ac.uk
Tue May 24 10:40:01 BST 2011

Greetings,

Siren FM's operating model may be somewhat different to others as our KCs require us to broadcast for and with 9 - 24.  Up to 18 they are mentored by professional and volunteer adult staff but are made to realise that once basic training has been covered they can be off and running as soon as they and I feel they're ready.  We have a "let's make it happen" attitude to our work with younger broadcasters and, once you've prised them away from "here's my music collection and my friends and we're going to bore you with it" to a more content driven approach they're often full of ideas and energy.

We have a full time unpaid volunteer who co-ordinates our Work Ex programme and the Year 10s stay with us for a week.  They're raw at the beginning of the week - sent out to do vox pops within an hour of arriving and find themselves taking part in NO ADULTS ALLOWED on the Friday (3-5pm) produced and presented by former Work exs (all now in their 17s and 18s - so seriously experienced!). Can do is our modus operandi and if it does wobble once or twice, the pros are on hand to give TLC as required.  In the end the big question is how far are you prepared to let it go - my motto is "We're only limited by our nerve and our imagination"!  Sometimes letting go is the hardest thing to do but the rewards are brilliant as young and old can easily integrate on a station and be complementary.

Yours

Andrew

Andrew David
Managing Editor

SIREN FM - offering you the chance to be involved in the exciting world of community radio where you're only limited by your nerve and imagination - go on, be brave
www.sirenonline.co.uk <http://www.sirenonline.co.uk/>
01522 886001