[cma-l] Youth Broadcasts

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Mon May 23 12:37:43 BST 2011

<<1. Do most of you consider 'working independently' as 'young volunteers
broadcasting but with staff nearby' (for whatever reason)? And does
'working independently' mean being able to decide who is involved,
broadcast roles and content for every programme, or just being
unattended whilst broadcasting?>>

There's a line to be drawn here between being able to decide the specific
content of a show minute by minute in an agreed and monitored framework and
having complete responsibility for output. I don't think Ofcom permits
people under 15 to be fully responsible for the control of output at any
time does it? Either way, as I say, we never have young people "unattended
while broadcasting".

<<2. How does funding make a difference? For instance, would staff
involvement
in youth programming change the way the programming is conducted if
funds were made available? Has anyone been through this and, if so,
what changes were made? What did the young volunteers think of this
change?>>

Yes it would make a difference, but no we haven't been down that avenue as
yet.

Alex