[cma-l] Youth Broadcasts

Tam Curry tamcamglen at googlemail.com
Mon May 23 11:05:22 BST 2011

We run two weekly radio youth groups for 8-11yrs and 12-15yrs. Both groups
create and present their own shows during our broadcasts and they are all
enrolled in the Dynamic Youth Awards scheme.

Each group runs for 14 weeks in total (up to 8 participants), after which
point each individual is supported to take up full volunteering roles (as
adults) - our youngest presenter that has produced and presented their own
slot as an adult volunteer is nine. Much like Two Lochs, the young people
are never in the station alone, although they are supported to work
independently - there is always help at hand.

Cheers

Tam

On 22 May 2011 22:38, Two Lochs Radio <tlr at gairloch.co.uk> wrote:

>  We have several hours a week produced and presented by young people
> ranging generally from 10 years upwards.
>
> Several of these (generally 13 yrs and up) create and present their
> programmes independently just as adults do, and do not need the support of
> an adult in producion terms. Some do it as part of their DofE Award service
> components, others as part of schemes organized informally with local
> primary schools, and others just as individuals.
>
> However, we never permit under 18s to be in the station alone - there must
> always be a 'responsible adult' present, but the adult is often there purely
> for health, safety and security reasons and not taking part in the
> production.
>
> Alex

Tam Curry

Camglen Radio Coordinator