[cma-l] National Advertising

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Thu May 5 11:11:40 BST 2011

Hi Alan,

Yes, that was our experience too. That's exactly why I made the proposal for helping get more big agency ads to the community and small non-profit stations:

a) there has to be a single sales house through which the agents can place one booking for dozens of small stations

b) you have to lobby/educate their clients - the advertisers - to apply a little pressure to them to indicate that they (the clients) would like x% of the bookings to go in the direction of the smaller stations.

Once they understand that at present their appointed agent has no incentive other than to do the minimum work they can get away with to meet the very broad targets they are set, and that this may be missing some very worthwhile demographics, the client may realize that hithertoo the tail has been wagging the dog a bit too much, and should be given a slight steer.

The ideal time to make this approach is of course when the time is drawing near for retendering of the contract for the booking agency - call me cynical, but rather like pre-election time or pre-BBC licence fee settlement, they become suddenly a bit more interested in social inclusion, public service etc. This strategy was successful in Scotland and I don't see why it shouldn't be on a greater scale for UK-wide bookings.

Alex