[cma-l] Free Community Radio Seminar

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Fri Mar 25 18:56:21 GMT 2011

Five of the seven community stations with commercial licenses in the
Highlands and Islands are members of RadioCentre, and benefit from the group
scheme for MCPS payments. It also gives use of RACC for advertising
clearance.

The seven stations all pay the commercial radio broadcasting rates for PRS
and PPL, but the copyright bodies' commercial rates are pretty well
identical to their community radio rates:

for PRS both pay 3% royalties, subject to a minimum of £636.
for PPL both pay 2% royalties, with a minimum of about £590.

The percentage rates rise if broadcast income is above about £600k, but I
doubt that applies to anyone here!

Of course in practice CR licencees are likely to have lower actual PRS/PPL
liabilities than commercial stations of similar turnover, because a greater
proportion of CR income is likely to come from non-broadcast sources
(grants, donations, fundraising) which is not subject to royalty assessment.

Alex