[cma-l] Free Community Radio Seminar

andrew.wass at talk21.com andrew.wass at talk21.com
Fri Mar 25 14:40:39 GMT 2011

Hi All,
At Desi Radio we are fortunate to have a large audience in West London, as a
consequence we have local small businesses keen to advertise with us, our
advertising income means that we pay a % of these revenues to both PRS and
PPL each year. We feel aggrieved as not only should more of this money be
invested in the station and its future, we also don't believe that any of the
money finds its way to writers, arrangers, pulishers and performers that we
play!
Desi plays a wide variety of Panjabi music, a lot of it traditional unattributed
music, a lot of it made and published outside of India (PRS/PPL claim that they
do collect on behalf of Indian authorities) we would like to see some evidence
of where our contribution does go to!
We also have to prep quarterly returns, administer logging days and prepare
through our accounts an annual return...... in exactlly the way a commercial
station has to......... for thats the model it's based on.

In short we pay a great deal of money to whom and for what?  in a way that takes
energy and resources that could be used for social gain!!! Given the other
issues that apply to stations around the country it feels like PRS and PPL need
to reform the system for our sector!
See you at PRS on Tuesday.

Best Wishes
Andy Wass