[cma-l] Free Community Radio Seminar

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Fri Mar 25 12:27:38 GMT 2011

  Firstly my apologies for getting PPL and PRS muddled up .... and secondly, I think Alex has knocked me into the silver medal position regarding long e-mails. By the time I'd got to the end of it I'd grown a beard !        LOL                       good stuff though.

Sorry about that - it's just something that has exercised me over the years, so it all came flowing out!!

  If Fred Bloggs wants to release a cd but use 10 songs that were written by 5 x Herbert Thistlethwaite + 5 x Nora Batty                  then it is up to Fred to pay Herbert and Nora ...... it ain't my responsibility or problem.

But Fred's a musician and wants to spend his time making music, not arsing about tracking down Messrs Thistlethwaite and Batty and finding out how much they want and how to pay them, and likewise Herbert and Nora are writers and composers and want to spend their time doing that, rather than trying to track down every miscreant who uses their works and extract money from them individually. So they all end up subscribing to a company that is set up to handle all the hassle for them.

  Furthermore if Henry Clackett buys a Ford Mondeo and opens up a Taxi business he's making money out of using that car that he has purchased. Does he give Ford another 5p everytime he drives it ???

Probably gives them more than that when he buys all those copyrighted spare parts needed to keep a Mondeo on the road! :)

Apple iPhone users give Apple a substantial kickback (via their service provider) for every month they use the phone.

Different businesses have different business models. The copyright one is perhaps the least easy one in whic to see the rationale, but it's enshrined in law.

Alex