[cma-l] [comradio-l] Daily Telegraph: BBC blasted for planning 'death of local radio'

Trevor Lockwood lockwood at btinternet.com
Fri Mar 11 09:32:42 GMT 2011

Morning All

I must stress this is my personal opinion.

Potentially this offers a huge opportunity for the community media sector. I recall (may be wrong) that BBC spends over £600 million on these 44 stations in England - whatever it is more than the £500K we get.

We could promise that together with the BBC we could build up an effective network of really local stations, each serving the needs of their own localities - and in so doing we would reveal local talent, provide entrepreneurial opportunities, support local organisations and survive.

As social entrepreneurs we all have dreams. Some will fail but they should not do so because they have not been given sufficient funding to try. Our job is to serve our audience. It is that audience who should be allowed to judge not faceless backroom boyos.

I must stress this is my personal opinion.

Trevor