[cma-l] FW: ONS Community Radio advertising spend

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Fri Mar 4 18:15:28 GMT 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: William Mach <william.mach at ons.gsi.gov.uk>
To: shane at eclectic-productions.co.uk

Dear Shane,

Thank you for your note. I must confess I thought my last explanations on
advertising and budgets were quite clear so I am enclosing them again below
for ease of reference. I don't think we can add anything new.

Regards

William

Census advertising

There is a range of census activities through which ONS tries to reach all
sections of the public using both marketing and direct contact. These
activities include PR and news generation, engagement through voluntary and
community organisations, advertising, direct mail out of the questionnaire
and door to door visits by census collectors to households that have not
returned their completed census.

Within the budget available we use a blend of these different tactics in
order to maximise questionnaire return rates from all groups within
society. It is not of course possible to use all tactics for all areas and
all population groups.

You asked specifically about use of community media by the census and also
for details of the national advertising campaign.

As part of the overall census communication and engagement programme,
census area managers and community advisors are contacting local community
media to raise awareness of the 2011 census. Many organisations have
responded positively, recognising the importance of encouraging their
audience to participate, and covering the census in news and editorial
features.

The national census advertising campaign will begin on 21 February. The
campaign focuses on media channels with high reach, primarily TV and
outdoor with a smaller amount of digital advertising. Radio advertising and
local print advertising are being considered for localised areas if
questionnaire return rates are lower than predicted during the census field
operation in April. It is not possible at this stage to identify where or
if this advertising may be required.

In answer to your further questions, thank you for your further email.

We have as you know asked our area managers and community advisors to
approach community media to explain the benefits of the census to the
community and also to promote the thousands of job opportunities which the
census provides. Some of the community organisations that have thought this
information was of interest to their audiences are listed below.

Ipswich Community Radio
Hope FM
Ummah Channel
BEN TV
Cresent Radio
Asian Star

Area managers have also successfully approached the news teams of local
commercial radio and print press, but have no budget for advertising. I
hope that is helpful information for you.

|---------+-------------------------------->
|         |           shane at eclectic-produc|
|         |           tions.co.uk          |
|         |                                |
|         |           04/03/2011 11:49     |
|         |                                |
|---------+-------------------------------->

cma-l at commedia.org.uk, jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk              |
 |       Subject:  FW: ONS Community Radio advertising spend

Dear William,

I sent this email (below) to you earlier in the week, and am writing as
I’ve had no response as yet. To date, communication and clarity from the
ONS both centrally and locally has been poor. It is difficult to understand
why, as one of your campaign pledges was to specifically target the hard to
count in ethnic minority groups. As your Area Managers’ response below
suggests, the importance of using Community Media to target these groups
has been recognised. Why then are we and Community Radio in the bigger
cities still experiencing either a wall of silence or inconsistent
information from your organisation?

As Head of Media for the ONS, we would appreciate some clarity from you.

Regards,

Shane Carey
Reprezent FM
London