[cma-l] Team London grants to increase volunteering (London only)

jaqui devereux jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk
Fri Mar 4 12:19:10 GMT 2011

The Team London fund will give voluntary sector grants of up to £10,000 to
increase volunteer numbers

The Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, has announced a new £4m grant fund to
encourage volunteering in the capital.

The fund, called Team London, will give grants worth up to £10,000 to
voluntary sector organisations that want to increase the number of
volunteers they use.

The cash will also support uniformed youth clubs, including girl guide and
scout groups, so that they can recruit more volunteers, and it will fund a
new Mayor's Mentors programme that will train volunteers to mentor young
people.

The three-year fund is made up of a £2m donation from the Reuben
Foundation<http://www.reubenfoundation.com/>- a charitable foundation
set up in 2002 by the property developers David
and Simon Reuben - and £2m from the Greater London
Authority<http://www.london.gov.uk/>
.

A statement from the GLA said Johnson would seek additional funds from the
private sector and charitable foundations. The body will start looking for
partners to deliver the fund in the next month.

In a statement, Johnson said: "London has a rich history of volunteering and
civic responsibility, and I am continually humbled by some of the amazing,
generous work Londoners do to make it a better place for us all.

"Team London is about what we can achieve when we act together. I want to
see the village put back into the city and for every precious hour that
Londoners spend, volunteering achieves the greatest possible impact."

--
Jaqui Devereux
Director, Community Media Association

http://www.commedia.org.uk