[cma-l] Second Reading Localism Bill: House of Lords debates, 7 June 2011, 3:50 pm

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Fri Jun 17 13:48:01 BST 2011

Hi Nick

Many thanks for your email which I've been sitting on for a week...

This was an excerpt from the Second Reading of the Localism Bill in
the House of Lords. The Bill has to go through a number of stages -
first reading, second reading, committee stage, report stage, third
reading in both the House of Commons and House of Lords - before it
becomes an Act of law.

Shortlink: http://bit.ly/jNZiXa

The Localism Bill has four main measures:

- new freedoms and flexibilities for local government
- new rights and powers for communities and individuals
- reform to make the planning system more democratic and more effective
- reform to ensure that decisions about housing are taken locally

The Bishop of Norwich noted that certain features of the Localism
Bill - in particular neighbourhood consultation and local elections -
need to be supported by a healthy communications 'ecology' that
formerly would have consisted of local newspapers and local radio.

I believe that the Bishop of Norwich is saying that with the decline
in local news media outlets in recent years, including BBC local
radio, only the community radio sector is able to meet the demands of
supporting the Localism Bill once enacted as long as our sector is
sufficiently funded.

Hear, hear!

Best regards

Bill