[cma-l] reflections on the CMA conference

Office - ccr-fm office at ccr-fm.co.uk
Wed Jun 15 13:30:43 BST 2011

Dear All

I couldn’t make it Saturday, but all seems to have gone OK ……………………. Good e-mail from Peter …… I couldn’t have done any better myself …………. I have to agree with a lot of this.

I think possibly a slight bit over the top with the dig at Ofcom ……..(they’re just doing a job)      and certainly correct about faffing about, pussyfootying around worried about upsetting certain ones. It seems alright for them to upset us, but we’re supposed to just sit there and take it …………. Er think not.

On a final note, I am a bit confused with the assumption that Online radio is ‘crap’                                     I actually think Commercial Radio is ‘crap’

Do you want me to name names ……………….. ??     I don’t mind …… look at the map -------------- all six of our commercial stations in our area are crap    ER NO    when I’m travelling the country and my search locks on to commercial radio in ???? wherever ------ they’re ‘crap’ as well …………. They all pee in the same pot !     obviously just my opinion and the thousands that listen to them of course disagree.

However

Bear in mind though that radio listeners fall into three categories

1) Highly interlectual / Interesting

2) Someone in the middle

3) Deadpan

Community Radio tries to aim at all three ………… sometimes we succeed, sometimes we don’t ---------- we try to be all things to all men ……. As I said, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn’t.

Commercial Radio is a number 3 ……………….     90% of the time, they succeed …………………. Like I said                  ‘CRAP’ !

I was in a shop in Manchester about a month ago ………. I can’t remember now whether it was Real or Key …. But they were running a competition …………. The 4 callers that were on air were struggling to string three words together so a sentence was completely out of the question ……………….    If I had been the presenter I would have asked them to say RED backwards !

Is this now the ‘in-word’  ??      ‘crap’             Peter and Jaqui’         go and wash your mouths out with soap !              LOL

Regards

Nick

  _____