[cma-l] £500K fund to stimulate digital innovation in the arts (Nesta & Arts Council England)

Tamar Millen tamar.millen at commedia.org.uk
Tue Jun 7 14:44:46 BST 2011

£500K fund to stimulate digital innovation in the arts

Funding will promote the use of digital technologies to connect with
wider audiences and explore new ways of working.

Arts and cultural organisations are being given the opportunity to apply
for a share of a half-a-million-pound fund to harness new technology.

The Digital R&D Fund for Arts and Culture was announced today by Arts
Council England, the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) and the
National Endowment for Science, Technology and the Arts (NESTA).

It follows a speech by Culture Minister Ed Vaizey in January where he
called on cultural organisations to embrace new technology and the
opportunities it offers.

“Our lives are increasingly defined by how we engage and interact with
the world digitally and cultural organisations can’t afford to be left
behind,” Mr Vaizey said. “Too often finances, structures or traditions
can constrain the arts from making best use of the technology which now
sits at the heart of many people’s everyday lives.

“This programme seeks to show how digital technology can revolutionise
our cultural engagement, helping people to derive greater value from
cultural activities and to find new ways to generate income.”

Organisations that are eligible to apply to the programme include visual
and performing arts organisations, cultural organisations in England
including arts and cultural archives, literary organisations, museums
and galleries, libraries, commercial arts and cultural organisations and
creative industry businesses. Applications will be open until 2
September 2011.

For more information go to this link http://bit.ly/k6qk1A
Which will take you to the Arts Council England site.

Source: DCMS

--
Tamar Millen
Arts Coordinator