[cma-l] Fw: Copyright Licensing Agency

Tony Bailey studio at ravensoundradio.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 17:05:28 GMT 2011

I suggest you ask them to explain how statutory instrument 2498 removed
the provisions for "fair dealing" for example:

The GreeNet alert in 2002 dealt with changes to the 1988 Act.  At the
time the main concern was amendments to the fair dealing rules where
personal use and unpublished reports were concerned, so I find it hard
to believe that fair dealing was abolished for all published work.

1988 Act: 29 (1) the SI now substitutes:

"Fair dealing with a literary, dramatic, musical or artistic work for
the purposes of research for a non-commercial purpose dose not infringe
any copyright in the work provided it is accompanied by a sufficient
acknowledgement"

For an identical paragraph in the original act which include a reference
to private study instead of non-commercial purpose and "in the work"
included the typographical arrangement of a published edition.

The fact that the "typo" bit was removed doesn't mean that you ignore
the word "literary".

(The custom and practice of "fair dealing" would be where you review a
copyright work and use a clip in a programme).

I doubt if many radio stations would make much use of print anyway.

Tony Bailey