[cma-l] Information request about community media

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Wed Jan 12 23:11:58 GMT 2011

Hi Dave

A good first start would be Ofcom's excellent annual reports on the
community radio sector which may all be found here:

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/radio/community/annual-reports/

There's the comprehensive Community Radio Toolkit:
http://www.communityradiotoolkit.net

And Professor Anthony Everitt's report, "New Voices" - the
evaluation of the Radio Authority's Access Radio pilot scheme published in 2003:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/rau/newsroom/news-release/03/pr044.htm

And then "The Arts & Community Radio" – a research report commissioned
by Arts Council England and DCMS published in 2008:

http://www.commedia.org.uk/2008/11/17/the-arts-community-radio-a-research-report/

Delving further I can give you the following non-exhaustive list
(apologies for errors and omissions):

- London Met's report on the 2007 conference "Finding & Funding Voices":
http://www.communitymedia.eu/events/finding-and-funding-voices/Finding_and_Funding_Voices-Report.pdf

- 'Finding and funding Voices: the London experience', a comparative
study of community media in London, Cardiff, Budapest and Stockholm,
Peter Lewis (2008):
http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/londonmet/library/s16011_3.pdf

- Third pillar of media pluralism: community broadcasting in the UK
and Europe, Steve Buckley:
http://www2.lse.ac.uk/media@lse/events/MeCCSA/pdf/papers/SteveBuckley.pdf

- Department of Culture, Media and Sport (2004) "The Community Radio
Sector: Looking to the Future" available at:
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.culture.gov.uk/Reference_library/Publications/archive_2006/cradio_lookingtothefuture.htm

- Report of the EU Parliament's Culture and Education Committee
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//NONSGML+COMPARL+PE-402.919+01+DOC+PDF+V0//EN&language=EN

- Council of Europe report Promoting social cohesion: the role of
community media:
http://www.coe.int/t/dghl/standardsetting/media/Doc/H-Inf(2008)013_en.pdf

- Declaration of the Council of Europe's Committee of Ministers on
Community Media:
http://www.cmfe.eu/article.php?id=81

- AMARC 'The Community Radio Charter for Europe'
http://www.amarc.org/index.php?p=Community_Radio_Charter_for_Europe

- Council of Europe Declaration of the Committee of Ministers on the
role of community media in promoting social cohesion and
inter-cultural dialogue (direct link):
https://wcd.coe.int/ViewDoc.jsp?id=1409919

- European Commission Indicators for Media Pluralism in the Member
States - Towards a Risk-Based Approach. Leuven: Katholieke
Universiteit (several references to community media in here):
http://ec.europa.eu/information_society/media_taskforce/doc/pluralism/pfr_report.pdf

- European Parliament The state of community media in the European
Union. Brussels: European Parliament. Policy Department Structural and
Cohesion Policies:
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/activities/committees/studies/download.do?file=22408

- European Parliament Resolution of 25 September 2008 on Community
Media in Europe (2008/2011(INI)):
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//TEXT+TA+P6-TA-2008-0456+0+DOC+XML+V0//EN&language=EN

- European Parliament Resolution of 25 September 2008 on Concentration
and Pluralism in the Media in the European Union (contains references
to community media):
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/getDoc.do?pubRef=-//EP//TEXT+TA+P6-TA-2008-0459+0+DOC+XML+V0//EN

- Jakubowicz, K., 'A new notion of media', Keynote speech to the 1st
Council of Europe Conference of Ministers Responsible for Media and
New Communication Services:
http://www.cmfe.eu/docs/_CoE_Reykjavik_Karol_Jakubowicz_Keynote.pdf

- Lewis, P.M., Promoting social cohesion. The role of community media.
Council of Europe: Strasbourg [Online] Available at:
http://www.coe.int/t/dghl/standardsetting/media/Doc/H-Inf(2008)013_en.pdf

- Reguero Jiménez, N., Sanmartin Navarro J., Community Media in
European Union Communication Policies (2004-2008). European
Communication Conference: Barcelona 25-28 November 2008:
http://www.ecrea2008barcelona.org/guide/abstract.asp?id_callfor=1388&id_seccion=2&id_subseccio=16

- Report on Community Media and European Policy Workshop 12-14 March
2009, Halle, Germany:
http://www.cmfe.eu/docs/_Documentation_WS_CM_Europapolitik_dt_en.pdf

- Submission of Community Media Forum Europe (CMFE) and AMARC Europe
to the Council of Europe Ministerial conference, Reykjavik, 28-29 May
2009, 'A new notion of media - the community media perspective':
http://www.ministerialconference.is/media/images/MCM2009024_en.pdf

Developing Dialogues: Indigenous and Ethnic Community Broadcasting in Australia
http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/books/view-Book,id=4649/

- Resources at Community Media Forum Europe: http://www.cmfe.eu/

- Community Media in Europe: Legal and economic contexts of the third
broadcast sector in 5 countries, by Otto Tremetzberger and Helmut
Peissl (2008):
http://www.communitymedia.eu/images/publications_books/2008_rtr_community_media_in_europe_eng.pdf

I'm out of the office all day Thursday but the CMA office might be
able to help further.

Hope that helps and best regards for now

Bill
Facebook Fans: http://bit.ly/cog8n5
Canstream Internet Radio: http://www.canstream.co.uk/