[cma-l] comty radio and campaigning

Julian Mellor julian at 10radio.org
Mon Jan 10 14:02:50 GMT 2011

A question for you hive of minds:

Under Ofcom rules we have to show due impartiality, give air to
differing opinions etc.

But how does that impact upon how we cover issues and decisions that
will detrimentally impact upon the communities we serve?

To illustrate this:  our local county council wants to close 20 or its
34 libraries, including the one in our town.  Via our website we have
been very vocal in our opposition to the closures, although on air we
are giving coverage to both sides of the argument (although the County
are pretty hopeless at coming forth to communicate!)  Some of our
Directors are a little bit twitchy about this, thinking that we
shouldn't come out for one side or the other, whether on air or off air.

Is there a definitive line on what we can / can't do in this multi-
platform world?  And what do others do?

Many thanks

Julian

10Radio: community radio for the 10 parishes
105.3fm
http://www.10radio.org

West St
Wiveliscombe
Somerset
TA4 2JP

JM tel: 01984 623 104
Studio and office tel: 01984 624 137

10Radio CIC
Registered Office: 1 Croft Cottage, West St, Wiveliscombe, Somerset,
TA4 2JP
Registered in England and Wales Number: 6004252