[cma-l] Interface to internet radio players

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Fri Jan 7 11:42:43 GMT 2011

On 7 January 2011 08:29, mark polden <markianpolden at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi there

Hi Mark

> We are currently going through the process of making our station available
> on all internet radio players. However we seem to be hitting problems with
> formats needed, particularly with the Pure Radio Lounge. We currently
> stream using Edcast and a company in Sheffield called Stream Solutions. Does
> anyone have any experience of this situation?

I don't think that company is based in Sheffield - a quick check shows
that they are registered to an address in Newbury.

Anyway, what course of action has Stream Solutions recommended?

Internet radio stations that use Canstream have been advised for quite
some time how to make their streams available in different formats for
different radio players.  I'll email you off-list and give you some
advice.

Incidentally, all Canstream radio stations will automatically be
included in the new Canstreamer smartphone app that is currently in
development and is planned for release in the next few weeks. The
Canstreamer app is a collaboration between the CMA/Canstream, The Gist
Foundation (http://thegisthub.net/), Artimelt Academy
(http://www.artimelt.com/) and Arts Council England
(http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/).

Canstreamer will feature community radio stations who are webcasting
with Canstream and a number of news feeds relating to the community
media sector including funding opportunities and station news. Even
this CMA mailing list will be syndicated to the app!

Webcasting with Canstream comes with the following features as standard:

- fixed price usage, no hidden surcharges
- free benchmarked webstats
- telephone and email support
- free encoder software for PC and Mac
- stable, secure and reliable open source streaming platform
- dedicated high-speed connectivity on the Internet backbone from
Telehouse, Docklands
- link from the CMA website on request
- free Flash MP3 player to embed on your website
- support with PPL and MCPS-PRS returns
- subscriptions support the strategic work of the CMA
- email notification if your stream disconnects
- low subscriptions starting at £25 per month for global community broadcasting

By using Canstream you not only get a high quality webcasting service
but your subscription also helps to support the work of the Community
Media Association.  The CMA's current priorities for the whole of the
community media sector are:

- funding and sustainability
- fair play for copyright fees
- more spectrum for community radio through digital migration
- local and community television
- sector recognition by Government and industry

Canstream aims to give the best overall value for money and service.
Reel Rebels Radio recently said to us:

"And by the way, we're very impressed at the way you've helped us
novices out over the past year and especially with our website issues
last month."

Canstream is also the only service provider (that we know of) that
offers an Automated LIsten Again facility taht we call ALISA. ALISA
will automatically record your stream and publish podcasts of your
audio for your audience to download and listen to when they choose.

We publish a monthly newsletter that gives further details of new
services and useful resources:

http://www.newsletter.canstream.co.uk/

Free trials of any Canstream service are available on request - just
email count-me-in at canstream.co.uk

> Thanks
> Mark Polden
> Flame CCR