[cma-l] british community radio runs british forces radio?!

Julian Mellor julian at 10radio.org
Mon Feb 28 17:42:09 GMT 2011

Saturday's Guardian included an article about British Forces Radio
being put out to tender with "concerns that large military contractors
with no experience of objective news reporting or radio and television
production could bid to run the service as a money-making scheme.
Critics of the decision expressed concern that the values and ethos of
the broadcasting station would be lost.  Contractors thought to be
interested in bidding include Babcock, Serco and BT.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/feb/25/fears-objectivity-british-forces-contract

Can't find anything on mod site but there's discussion  here:
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=48415445

The service is currently provided by http://www.ssvc.com/, a charity
who, some say, are lining themselves up to get the tender (in which
case the Guardian article is just a bit of slightly alarmist
reporting).  Or maybe not.

But given that community radio has strong (maybe shared) "values and
ethos", what chance of a collaborative tender between various stations
& the CMA?

Have to admit I know next to nothing about forces radio, and looking
at their website makes me think 'ooh, way too big', but nevertheless,
it felt like it's a thought worth sharing.

Comments?

Julian

10Radio: community radio for the 10 parishes
105.3fm
http://www.10radio.org

West St
Wiveliscombe
Somerset
TA4 2JP

JM tel: 01984 623 104
Studio and office tel: 01984 624 137

10Radio CIC
Registered Office: 1 Croft Cottage, West St, Wiveliscombe, Somerset,
TA4 2JP
Registered in England and Wales Number: 6004252