[cma-l] Local election interviews

Bill Best bill.best at commedia.org.uk
Mon Feb 28 11:45:04 GMT 2011

On 27 February 2011 22:40, Trevor Lockwood <lockwood at btinternet.com> wrote:

> I've just been told by a local councillor that they are advised they must go into
> 'purdah' for some time before the coming elections, and not talk to the media.
>
> We plan to interview every candidate - as we did for the Parliamentary elections.
>
> Anyone know where I can find the law?
>
> Trevor

Trevor

Coincidentally the new Broadcast Code has just been published this morning.

"Section Six: Elections and Referendums" defines the election period
for local government elections begins with "the last date for
publication of notices of the election" and ends with the close of the
poll.

And (Section 6.2) says that "due weight must be given to the coverage
of major parties during the election period. Broadcasters must also
consider giving appropriate coverage to other parties and independent
candidates with significant views and perspectives".

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/broadcasting/broadcast-codes/broadcast-code/elections/

I'm getting a second opinion from Ofcom now.

Bill

Canstream Internet Radio & Video