[cma-l] Community radio - get your news from the BBC?

Phil Korbel phil.korbel at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 23 15:29:20 GMT 2011

back in the day, Wythenshawe FM took live news on the hour from what was BBC
GMR.  Worked well and we got a good local-ish news service for nowt, just
had to cue up w 'and now the news from BBC GMR...', possibly a back anno
too.

It was a good will arrangement between the then manager and us.  All going
swimmingly until a bright spark [possibly a national high up] asked if we
took adverts - which we did - and the service was shelved 'pending further
discussions' which are still pending.  The solution we suggested was to have
an advert 'purdah' for say 10 or 15 minutes either side of the bulletin to
dilute the argument that we might be commercially benefiting from the BBC
news content.  So yes - it would be a welcome boon if this were to be
resurrected..

good luck,

bests

Phil

On 23 February 2011 14:54, jaqui devereux <jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk>wrote:

> Dear all
>
> We are aware that IRN has hiked its charges for news and are trying to get
> a meeting with them to discuss this.
>
> We are also working with the BBC to try to extend access to their news
> services for the community radio sector, so we do urge you to at least
> approach your local BBC with a view to exploring the possibility of getting
> a free news feed from them, as some stations already have.
>
> Let us know how you get on as we will follow this up at the national
> strategic level,
>
> Best wishes
>
> Jaqui
>
> --
> Jaqui Devereux
> Director, Community Media Association
> 0114 279 5219
>
> --
> Community Media Association
> http://www.commedia.org.uk
> http://twitter.com/community_media
> Facebook Fans: http://bit.ly/cog8n5
>
> Canstream Internet Radio & Video
> http://www.canstream.co.uk/

Phil Korbel
Director
0161 237 5454

Radio Regen is a community, media and urban regeneration charity
A company limited by guarantee and registered in England and Wales No.
3753832
Registered office: 12 Hilton Street, Manchester, M1 1JF
Registered Charity No. 1077763
www.radioregen.org
www.communityradiotoolkit.net