[cma-l] Audience Figures for Community Radio

Phil Korbel phil.korbel at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 11 10:20:24 GMT 2011

cant hold back any more on this...

I know that the would be clients/partners always ask for audience figures
that's such a small part of our value and we have to educate them about
that...

Zane Ibrahim's line - 'Dont be popular, be necessary' is more complex than
it sounds.  Our real value lies in our potential to be at the heart of a
community and that's about, yes, having an audience, but also being central
to their lives, as a trusted, loved even, source of information etc.  Sure,
our competitors might have a bigger audience but are they trusted and valued
like we are?  That is priceless to any partner.

So how can we capture that?  Of course anecdote and testimonial is useful
and possibly inspiring but we need a rigorous and cheap method that can
prove it... and 'Prove It' just happens to be the name of a project we'll be
launching soon to do just that... [I used to write links for radio you
know...]

'stay tuned'

bests,

Phil

On 11 February 2011 08:56, Ian Hickling <transplanfm at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I don't
> I think it's crackers that we think we need to rely on figures based on
> such a shaky premise.
> Face up to it - please.
> There is no physical method of measuring a radio audience.
> If you really need figures then the caveats should be provided alongside
> them.
> Anything based on their assumed validity should be similarly qualified.
> Otherwise, you're fooling yourself - and more importantly fooling your
> audience, supporters, funders and advertisers.
>
> ------------------------------
> Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 20:05:43 +0000
> From: lockwood at btinternet.com
> To: cma-l at commedia.org.uk
> Subject: Re: [cma-l] Audience figures for Community Radio
>
>   Hi
>
> I love the assumptions made by statisticians.
>
> Can I assume the 2.98% Internet listeners being representative - as we had
> 200,000 unique Internet listeners last month. It's good to know that we have
> about half of the estimated total audience.
>
> What are the rest of you doing?
>
> Trevor
>
> 107.5 FM
> Chairman
> Felixstowe Radio Community Interest Company
> <http://www.felixstoweradio.co.uk/>
> Registered Number 6419058
> 3 Great Eastern Square, Felixstowe IP11 7DY
> 01394 282123
> Director Community Media Association <http://www.commedia.org.uk/>
> Vice Chairman Suffolk Association of Voluntary Organisations<http://www.savo.co.uk/>
> Trustee Media Fish Suffolk

Phil Korbel
Director
0161 237 5454

Radio Regen is a community, media and urban regeneration charity
A company limited by guarantee and registered in England and Wales No.
3753832
Registered office: 12 Hilton Street, Manchester, M1 1JF
Registered Charity No. 1077763
www.radioregen.org
www.communityradiotoolkit.net