[cma-l] charity status

London Chinese Radio admin at londonhuayu.co.uk
Tue Feb 8 14:20:18 GMT 2011

Hi,

Just read Phil's post (shouldn't be - I should be writing my charity return
report...) and actually that is what I wanted to point out:   We are a
registered charity, and we were able to register because our objectives are
to benefit the Chinese community (and also the wider community), and radio
is a means to that end.
I think that's the difference - is your organisation's purpose to exist in
it's own right, or is it a means to an end?

Best,

Peter Vautier
London Huayu
(a.k.a. London Chinese Radio)

On Sun, Feb 6, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Phil Korbel <phil.korbel at googlemail.com>wrote:

> A great discussion y'all
>
> if you look at examples such as SHMU in Aberdeen, PRESCAP (Preston FM's
> parent charity), Future Radio and of course 'our' WFM and ALLFM before they
> 'left home' - none of those charities are 'radio' but focus on education,
> arts and social inclusion - and happen to use radio as a means to those
> ends...
>
> Non charitable activity (after a certain limit) cant be under the remit of
> the charity but a trading arm of a charity is a very well used device - if
> your non- charitable activities are significant.
>
> You could look at it the other way round - have the main activity under a
> CIC or company limited by guarantee but have a 'Friends of...' charity set
> expressly to support/raise funds for the education/arts/social inclusion
> activities of the station....
>
> FYI - when we had a clean slate setting up a station that we werent going
> to run - North Manchester FM - we set it up as a CIC. Still not sure if that
> was best but at least there was only one cycle of Board meetings...
>
>  It's true that some big Foundations wil only look at funding charities but
> more are saying 'charity or CIC'.
>
> Hope that helps
>
> bests
>
> Phil
>

> --
> Phil Korbel
> Director
> 0161 237 5454
>
> Radio Regen is a community, media and urban regeneration charity
> A company limited by guarantee and registered in England and Wales No.
> 3753832
> Registered office: 12 Hilton Street, Manchester, M1 1JF
> Registered Charity No. 1077763
> www.radioregen.org
> www.communityradiotoolkit.net

> Community Media Association - http://www.commedia.org.uk