[cma-l] Council charge for Antenna space rent. help!

Glyn Roylance glyn at glossfm.org
Tue Feb 8 08:15:46 GMT 2011

I'm shocked that councils are charging that much - but from experience in a
related industry I can confirm that is probably about half price.  In our
rural area we use a mast on a farm rent-free, but I can see that kind of
solution may not be possible in urban areas, where a standard 45m council
block will be a great transmission site virtually every time.   Some
suggestions:

1/ Not all tower blocks are council owned - some are privately owned.  It
would mean speaking with the residents committee, and probably having to
convince them your transmitter does not emit "death rays", but there is a
chance you might be able to secure a site for less money or free

2/ Commercial office blocks etc - try and do a deal to give them for free
advertising/sponsorship to save the cash

3/ If you are in a hilly area, then you may achieve good results by
carefully selecting a smaller structure/building on the right hill.  Even
though the antenna may be less than say 10m off the ground, if it is on a
hill with good views over target area, then it will work.  For this option,
to cherry-pick the best location, you would be best advised to get some
coverage predictions done by someone - it needn't cost much.

Like Alex said watch-out for hidden costs like contractors - that's one
reason why we steered away from existing transmission facilities in our
area.

I hate to raise the question, but does anyone know is council tax/business
rates charged on transmitter sites...?

Regards, Glyn

On 7 February 2011 19:09, info <info at nusoundradio.com> wrote:

>  Dear Alex.. Thank you for the information I’m going to setup a second
> meeting with the council officers and see what will be the lowest we can
> achieve.
>

> Taari Sian
>
> Sales & Marketing Director
>
> Tel:020 8472 9994
>
> Mob: 07961 387 787
>
> www.nusoundradio.com
>

> *Telephone: +44 (0) 20 8472 9994  **
> Sales: 020 8472 9994 | Studio: 020 8472 9292
> Nusound  Radio Limited registered in England with registered number 5838731
> This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the
> addressee and may also be privileged or exempt from disclosure under
> applicable law. If you are not the addressee, or have received this e-mail
> in error, please notify the sender immediately, delete it from your system
> and do not copy, disclose or otherwise act upon any part of this e-mail or
> its attachments  Internet communications are not guaranteed to be secure or
> virus-free Nusound  Radio Limited does not accept responsibility for any
> loss arising from unauthorised access to, or interference with, any Internet
> communications by any third party, or from the transmission of any viruses.
> *

GLOSS FM now broadcasting on 87.7FM across South Gloucestershire
http://www.glossfm.org.
Why not download the GLOSS FM browser toolbar for easy access to radio
player, local information and more!
http://GLOSSFM.Toolbar.fm/