[cma-l] missed the point?

Ian Hickling transplanfm at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 17 10:00:19 BST 2011

Nick
Don't worry - we love what you do - er - I think!
Just one point:

People keep talking about key commitments ………… it has no bearing whatsoever when you take into account that everybody's geographical area is different …….. flat / hilly / generally bigger / generally smaller / built up / rural /

As I keep saying - your contractual Key Committments are irrelevant to your geographical situation - sorry!
For these reasons:

1 - You choose your geographical location and you propose that to Ofcom - There is normally no comment on that unless it is clearly unsuitable.
2 - You specify your chosen community and you propose that to Ofcom - There is normally no comment on that unless it is unreasonable.
3 - You specify how you propose to cover your audience to Ofcom - There is normally no comment on that unless it is in some way over-enthusiastic.
4 - You specify what you propose to provide in terms of service to your Comminity - Those details are built in to your Key Committments.

In all these things Ofcom is carrying out its Statutory Role as a Regulator.
It is not there as a Consultant.

Now - all these parameters are not set in stone - they can all be varied by due process with Ofcom should you put up a good case.
That is the only route to follow.

Ian Hickling
Partner
transplan UK