[cma-l] National Advertising

Two Lochs Radio tlr at gairloch.co.uk
Sat Apr 30 15:30:36 BST 2011

<<My thoughts are that a ‘caring package’ or ‘ECO package’ is a better direction, selling to advertisers that want to offset other spend for whatever reason.>>

Exactly. Community-based stations offer a different audience from the traditional radio commercials market, and it is one that is ideally suited to advertisers with a public service/community remit, such as Government departments, health service, local councils, major charities, education, common-good funds etc.

Those sectors have an obligation to reach sparse, under-served and niche communities, but they spend big budgets almost exclusively through traditional media buyers because it's easy for them that way, despite the fact they may be cutting themselves of from key demographics.

A further development would be for such a body to facilitate the production fo suitably sponsored information packages so that stations barred from booking traditional advertising can also take part where possible and receive the benefits.

The task of a community media agency would be to get the message across and make it easy for these bodies to channel a few percent of their advertising in this direction in proper fulfilment of their remits.

Thankfully for us the Scottish Government accepts this argument in respect of its own advertising, but the net needs to be widened and the market established on a more comprehensive basis.

Alex