[cma-l] National Advertising

Clive Glover clive.glover at lineone.net
Wed Apr 20 11:52:07 BST 2011

I wonder if anyone has had any recent contact with any of the radio advertising agencies about trying to run any national advertising from major retailers who have branches in their local areas?  We did this some time ago but were effectively told it was not a viable option either for the agencies or for ourselves.

But now with 200 CR stations on air and a potential total CR coverage of 18 million (think that was OFCOM's figure!), should we perhaps be trying this again all together?

In our local area - as I am sure in yours - we have multiple outlets for all the major supermarkets, various car dealers etc who are major national advertisers. We would be happy to run current national ads, perhaps with a local addition of "your local *** store is at 24 High Street" if it produced some income for us. We have already done exactly this for our local Sony Centre (they are franchises so the local manager can make decisions!) and we think it helps demonstrate our credibility to other local potential advertisers.

Apologies to those stations that do not take advertising, but this does seem to me to be an idea whose time has come now we have a large number of stations on air!

Thoughts please!

Clive Glover

Radio Verulam 92.6 FM
St Albans