[cma-l] Internet radio

Tony Bailey studio at ravensoundradio.co.uk
Wed Sep 29 15:16:17 BST 2010

Looked at from a numerical point of view, 950 UK internet radios on the
Reciva database (including around half also on FM/AM) against a
theoretical maximum of 50 on FM it's obvious, the question is not really
about the delivery platforms but rather how do people listen in?  There
is no plan or potential system that could deliver 950 services on FM.
Many FM services are simulcasting online mainly to avoid fragmentation
of their audience.  There will always be a separate vehicle audience,
but probably mostly "wallpaper and jam" radio services.

There's nothing wrong with promoting broadcast services, but there is
little appetite for expansion of the channel base, so given the level of
demand from programmers and the fact that most homes are already wired
up, telecoms cable based systems offer a viable alternative.

If a fraction of the effort expended on DAB had gone into online
services we could have had a huge increase in listener choice already,
instead of wasting money on broadcasting developments that are designed
to protect the established media.

Tony Bailey

--
Raven Sound PO Box 1062 Bromley BR1 9QA UK
Tel: (020) 8466 8060  Int: + 44 20 84 66 80 60

Raven Sound is a voluntary sector community media project
www.ravensoundradio.co.uk