[cma-l] Internet radios - are they any good?

Tony Bailey studio at ravensoundradio.co.uk
Wed Sep 29 10:41:20 BST 2010

I've been using a Logik which reads the Reciva database.  I think it was
available in the usual high street outlets.  One problem, it was deaf,
due to the wifi radio dongle (no lan socket b.t.w) being inside the box.
  This was remedied by unplugging it and adding a usb lead to take it
outside the box.  I think later versions may have addressed this issue.
The point is, it's worth looking for a set with an external aerial if
using wifi instead of a lan cable connection.

I think there is a fair bit of info on the Reciva website on the merits
of various receivers.

With reference to certain US radio stations, the Reciva people are
reported to have done some sort of software mod to enable non-us
listeners to connect where these stations are otherwise unavailable
outside the USA.

I don't know of any internet radio solution to the use of flash streams
however, other than the provision of a separate wm/real/shout stream.
Similarly, they can't handle p2p (streamer/peercast) so far as I know
either.

Tony Bailey