[cma-l] 2011 Census

Tom Buckham t.buckham at futureradio.co.uk
Thu Sep 23 12:17:09 BST 2010

Hi everyone

We just had a visit from our regional Census Officer and I wondered if any other groups had received a similar visit recently?

As I expected they're seeking to raise awareness with the general public and a wide demographic of local residents, to promote participation in next year's census - and they obviously see community media as a good means of engaging with local communities.

Inevitably though when I raised the question of budgets it was clear they had no spend, but they were obviously still hopeful that we'd help them promote key events, raise awareness, and reach more marginalised communities where the census has traditionally.

The census will create a high number of employment opportunities for people, but I wonder should we (or the CMA) be talking to the C.O.I. about their marketing spends on this (presuming they are responsible for this). My concern is that I can foresee a scenario where all the ILRs will be taking paid advertising, pushing people to take part, whereas community radio stations will still be expected to provide community engagement and raise awareness, but with no remuneration for our work.

It might be an opportunity to bring in some revenue across the sector and as community media groups can offer much more than spot advertising it needn't be limited to those affected by advertising restrictions etc.

Tom

Tom Buckham
Station Manager, Future Radio
01603 250505
Future is a social inclusion project that uses the arts and media to engage, inspire and train young people and adults in Norwich and Norfolk
Fax; (01603) 508096
Future, 168b Motum Rd, Norwich, Norfolk, NR5 8EG.
Registered charity number 113200
http://www.futureprojects.org.uk/
http://www.futureradio.co.uk/
Before printing, think about the environment
P It takes 24 trees to produce 1 ton of office paper!
Please note that Internet email is not a fully secure method of communication. You should be aware of this lack of security when emailing us.