[cma-l] Leeds youngsters put on own gig following lack of live music in area

CMA-L cma-l at commedia.org.uk
Tue Sep 21 15:12:08 BST 2010

Source: The Guardian 21/09/10 - http://is.gd/fljAp

Guest blogger Linda Strudwick writes on how frustrated youngsters from
East Leeds FM have turned promoters

On Saturday a group of young people from East Leeds FM will be telling
top Yorkshire band Hope & Social what to do.

Responding to a lack of live music in the area, particularly for young
people, they have decided to turn promoters themselves and put on
their own gig.

The event on the 25th will include a line up of local musicians all
under 18 years old, who represent some of the best emerging talent in
East Leeds, as well as the headline act. It all takes place as part of
the eXpression Arts Festival.

Community arts organisation Heads Together have been working with the
young people in East Leeds, as part of their East Leeds FM community
radio station.

The young people have been meeting regularly to develop their musical
and writing skills. However, they were disappointed at the lack of
live music that took place in East Leeds, particularly if you are
under 18 years old.

As Holly Atkinson, aged 12 and a member of the Next Generation group
at East Leeds FM, said:

"We have developed so much musical talent on East Leeds FM, and most
of it was from young people under 18 years old.

"We've had great fun doing broadcasts on the radio, but we were
looking for new ways for musicians to play live to wider audiences.
That's when we realised that there are hardly any local places you can
go and see live music if you are under 18, so we decided to put on our
own gig and get a really big band to headline the show!"

Heads Together worked with the young people through a new programme of
training workshops, mentored by professional musicians.

They have all been able to develop their musical skills, learn about
how to promote themselves, understand sound engineering and generally
everything else that they would need to put on a live performance. And
they have learnt from the best. Hope & Social are Yorkshire's most
popular indie band, who tour nationally and internationally.

Founding member Rich Huxley has led many of the sessions with the
young people, teaching performance and musical skills.

The icing on the cake for this group of young people was to put on
their own gig that would attract an audience of 300 plus.

Adrian Sinclair, Creative Director of Heads Together Productions added:

"This gig is organised by and for young people and comes directly from
the performances that they have done at ELFM and at local festivals
such as Garforth Arts Festival and Seacroft Gala. We think it is
brilliant that they have pulled this gig together and are more than
willing to support them as it fits in with the ELFM aim of bringing
more live music to East Leeds."

ELFM are always looking for new people to get involved with the
station and its events. If you are interested in finding out more, go
to the ELFM website at http://www.elfm.co.uk, or contact
info at elfm.co.uk.

Guest blogger Linda Strudwick is development director at Heads
Together Productions

Source: The Guardian 21/09/10 - http://is.gd/fljAp

\\

Facebook Fans: http://bit.ly/cog8n5