[cma-l] DAB Switchover

Richard Berry richard.berry at sunderland.ac.uk
Thu Sep 16 11:25:35 BST 2010

I agree. The internet is one of the many futures of radio and the
trick will not be in what platform are we one but on the smart use of
EPG's and radios that switch seamlessly between DAB, online and
analogue. The work happening with RadioDNS could really help us here.
Sure, connected radios mean that Internet radio is more easily
accessible than once it was - and can offer better bit rates than DAB
- but internet radio on the move is some time away yet and when that
it happens it will be wimax that rescues it but with a steep price
attached I'm sure.

Community radio ought to be free at point of consumption and as cheap
to get to as possible. At the moment only FM gives us that. DAB will
never be any use, until the gatekeepers decide to lower their absurdly
high access costs

Richard

Richard Berry
Senior Lecturer in Radio Studies
Admissions Tutor
Programme Leader: FdA Community Radio & BA Radio
The David Puttnam Media Centre, St Peters Campus
Sunderland, SR6 0DD
Tel: 0191 515 2239
www.twitter.com/sunderlandradio
Web: www.sunderland.ac.uk/radio
Tags: www.delicious.com/richardberry
Blog:myblogs.sunderland.ac.uk/blogs/radio/

On 16 Sep 2010, at 10:38, CMA-L wrote:

> [...]
>>> 105.3fm