[cma-l] DAB Switchover

Cathy Aitchison cathy.aitchison at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 14 09:52:11 BST 2010

Thanks for that, Richard.
Interesting developments today with the publicaction of the Consumer Expert
Group report - see
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2010/sep/14/digital-radio-switchover

Grant Goddard's take on the dilemma is in his post today "The exit strategy
for DAB radio switchover: the Consumer Expert Group addresses Vaizey's "big
if"
http://grantgoddardradioblog.blogspot.com/2010/09/exit-strategy-for-dab-radio-switchover.html
Quote:
"... digital radio was considered by the previous government to be a real
possibility, and that is why dissent from consumer groups was buried. Now,
that same consumer dissent could provide the perfect nail on which to hang
any number of DAB exit strategies. A new report outlining the massive
consumer challenge of digital radio switchover would be a perfect 'get out
of jail free' card for many long-term DAB stakeholders.

"So today, a new report has been published by the government's Consumer
Expert Group [CEG] which asks the pertinent question 'Digital radio
switchover: what is in it for consumers?' Moreover, rather than it being
embarrassedly added to the depths of the DCMS web site a year later, today's
report was circulated to the press and stakeholders in advance of
publication...."

And here's the link for the CEG report itself:
http://www.dcms.gov.uk/publications/7410.aspx

Best,
Cathy
http://www.aitchisonmedia.net