[cma-l] BBC funding for local TV/Not local radio

Chris Haydon chris at communitytvtrust.org
Mon Oct 25 11:07:08 BST 2010

Dear all,

Speaking from the broadband community media 'sector', I would like
to say that I am as amazed as all of you labouring away on little or
nothing in radio. The footprint of TV sounds fun though personally
I remain as sceptical as ever about its practicability. I come from
broadcast TV and know what it takes, staff, capacity, tech support,
and so on.
Syphoning off the BBC licence fee is an obvious funding method for
TV, web-based local media and radio.
I stick with the web-based area because of its accessibility,
flexibility (multimedia etc), and low cost. Fund one person to
operate as the 'hub' for a community and much can be activated and
facilitated. It really doesn't cost much.
The BBC millions could go a very long way on that basis.

On we go !

Chris Haydon
Community TV Trust
Southwark.TV