[cma-l] Community Radio 50% Rules

Murray Dawson murray at shmu.org.uk
Mon Oct 11 17:22:15 BST 2010

  Hi Ian,

You obviously have much more experience in this area that I do, however
the problems we face was through no lack of homework or research on our
part - as we did buy in professional support.

The problem we face is that Aberdeen is on a hill, with a couple of
river valleys, and the area we serve spans across a number of these
areas.  The power we managed to secure reaches some, but not all our
target areas as we had to compromise.  (in some directions the signal
can be picked up for 20 miles, in others it doesn't reach our target
community only 2 miles away.

The limitations which forced the compromise - the 5km guidelines, and
the complaints of the commercial radio stations in the area (who have
complained in writing to Ofcom about our existing insufficient reach).

Any support or guidance on how to increase our reach to our target
communities would be gratefully received.

All the best,

Murray

please reply to
murray at shmu.org.uk

Murray Dawson
Project Director
Station House Media Unit
Station Road, Woodside,
Aberdeen  AB24 2WB
Tel - 01224 515013

www.shmu.org.uk

listen to our community radio station live on 99.8FM and at www.shmufm.net

SHMU is a charity registered in Scotland - SC034211 and a registered Limited Company - SC332413

This message is not intended to have contractual effect