[cma-l] Community Radio 50% Rules

Murray Dawson murraywdawson at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 18:49:48 BST 2010

  Alan,

I feel that the changes to the 50% rule now leaves a fair amount of
flexibility to ensure that Community Radio stations can develop on a
sound financial footing - without 'selling out' by going down the
commercial ad driven route.

Our organisation works across a range of community media formats, which
allows us even greater flexibility, as it's the income of the company
that is measured.  Therefore every grant we get for another area of the
organisations work means the rule becomes less and less relevant to us
(and in any case we had 14,000 hrs of volunteering last year, and had no
commercial adverts).

I did have a major issue with the original rule though - and it cost our
organisation heavily as we had to scale back our original Big Lottery
bid to a figure which I felt we could match 50/50 - this is no longer
the case though.

So my recommendation - diversification......

Where I do have a serious problem with the 'rules' though is with the
power and range we can transmit.
Why should we be restricted to a fraction of the power of the commercials?
In Aberdeen, we are in a situation where a large proportion of our
target communities don't get reception - or get a very poor reception,
and the commercials still moan to Ofcom that our reach is too far!
Too far for what?
We're not interested in stealing their revenues or audience - the
opposite is the case.  We have evidence that our station has increased
radio listeners across the city (commercial and community) by
re-engaging people with the medium again.

Let's pull together and campaign on this one instead?

All the best

Murray

On 09/10/2010 12:48, Alan Coote wrote:

> Ian,
>
> The CMA will do nothing.
>
> Sorry to be so harsh, but during the Ofcom Community Radio review a
> couple of years ago they supported the 50% rule as it characterises
> Community Radio.
>
> I totally agree with you it's outdated and in desperate need of review
> along with a number of aspects -- the sooner the better.
>
> Alan

please reply to

murray at shmu.org.uk

Murray Dawson
Project Director
Station House Media Unit
Station Road, Woodside,
Aberdeen  AB24 2WB

Tel - 01224 515013

www.shmu.org.uk

listen to our community radio station live on 99.8FM and at www.shmufm.net

SHMU is a charity registered in Scotland - SC034211 and a registered Limited Company - SC332413

This message is not intended to have contractual effect