[cma-l] Call for responses on local TV

Phil Shep phil at somersetfilm.com
Sat Oct 2 14:38:13 BST 2010

Members and friends

The local TV agenda has been very much in the news recently, reflecting
Jeremy Hunt's support for the idea of a new generation of local TV stations,
and the coalition's ideas on localism and the volunteer led 'Big Society'.

Nic Millington (Rural Media Company, Hereford), Murray Dawson (Station
House, Aberdeen) and I constitute a working party from CMA Council to carry
this agenda forward and to establish the best options for a mixed platform
approach.   We need to look at every way in which local TV is being
developed / delivered - from entirely voluntary initiatives (eg Mon TV)  to
those with very commercial elements.  There may be others for example that
have significant FE / HE interests behind them, or crossovers with social
media / bloggers etc.

Our first task is to ask for your speedy feedback on four key questions:

1) Do you already broadcast TV via the internet or by any other means?
2) What value do you see in the potential licensing of a new generation of
local TV stations delivered in part via DTT (digital terrestrial
transmission) - in Jeremy Hunt's words ' a new generation of local media
companies ... an innovative new sector which is truly cross-platform and
totally multi-media. Companies able to follow their customers from radio to
TV, from newspaper to internet, from iPhone to iPad.'
3) Where do you see the risks associated with this idea?
4) Would you be interested in being a partner in a local/community station
of this sort for your area?
5) Who would you partner with to explore this option?
6) Are you already in discussion with partners who support the idea?

I outline below a snapshot of the current situation:

Jeremy Hunt has contracted Nicholas Shott from Lazards to look at 'what are
the conditions necessary for local television in the UK to be commercially
viable on a sustainable basis' and his report is due soon.  His preliminary
can't afford it; no advertising; regional newspapers about to collapse'.
Despite this he notes that he can see 'at least the possibility of a
commercially viable local TV sector'.

CMA's position on local TV has been to consistently argue for gifted
spectrum for local services and to refute suggestions that a viable service
can be achieved purely via the internet.   We have argued that while online
platforms are an essential component, as long as millions of people remain
offline, this emerging and important  strand of public service broadcasting
should be offered via digital terrestrial transmission (DTT).    The
spectrum should not simply be sold to the highest bidder.  The opportunity
cost of this to government can be more than offset by the social benefits
derived from the services.

While we welcome the  move towards fully connected services (i.e. high speed
broadband services on TV  in every home) as this is unlikely to be
universally available for some years to come we argue that some of the
available DTT spectrum be made available for local and community services
now.   We are also concerned that the Project Canvas initiative - through
which the BBC, C4 and other major broadcasters are preparing the ground for
fully connected delivery - is setting technical and financial obstacles
which will effectively preclude access for smaller players including
community based ventures.

These arguments have been carried to government and regulator through United
for Local Television (ULTV) - www.unitedforlocaltv.com - the affiliation of
local and community stations and producers across the UK for which CMA
provides the secretariat.   ULTV has successfully brought the arguments
forward over the past few years, in partnership at different times with
networks like the Voice of the Listener and Viewer (VLV) and the (currently
dormant) Public Voice.

Until very recently the prospect of a viable licensing regime of any kind
for local and community TV has been remote - although less so in Scotland.
While still far from certain, there does appear to be a window of
opportunity for all of the UK at this stage which we need to exploit.    We
note in particular from Nicholas Shott's recent letter to Jeremy Hunt

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Media/documents/2010/09/28/NShottlette
r24.09.10.pdf

and from his RTS speech

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Media/documents/2010/09/28/100928RTSsp
eechFINAL.pdf

that he has taken on board some of the important arguments made to him by
ULTV.

The debate is heating up with some large mainstream players urging Hunt to
consider 'more realistic' models.   Your feedback, views and support will be
very much appreciated as a matter of some urgency.

With thanks

Phil Shepherd
Phil Shepherd
Chair of Council