[cma-l] Community Radio - call for Expressions of Interest forsmall fund for production

Stanton LaFoucade Stanton.LaFoucade at walthamforest.gov.uk
Fri Oct 1 17:23:33 BST 2010

Dear Jaqui

We here at Streetlife FM (soon to be Streetlife Radio) plan to start broadcast by May 2011 having been recently awarded an AM licence in addition to relocating our studios to a local college who we're now working in partnership with.  This I believe would be an exceptional opportunity to further develop this partnership given that the college is keen to widen it's international appeal/recruitment.  As such I'd like to express an interest in becoming involved in this project.

Kind regards

Stanton

Stanton La Foucade | Deputy Neighbourhood Manager Leyton|Cyberlink | 51 Beaumont Road | Leyton | E10 5DE
Office Tel 0208 4961551 | Mob 07854563054 |

"making a difference to our community"
>>> jaqui devereux <jaqui.devereux at commedia.org.uk> 10/01/10 2:13 PM >>>
Dear all

The CMA has been in negotiations to take the lead on English language
production for Euranet, which is the European Radio Network with partner
broadcasters and producers from around the EU.  Euranet reports on cultural,
social, economic and political events and issues in the EU from a
pan-European perspective.  Euranet currently reports in 13 of the EU
official languages.  Until now, the main English production has been done by
Radio Netherlands!  The monies available for the project are quite small,
but we hope to negotiate a larger share of the pot in future years.

For more about Euranet please go to:

http://www.euranet.eu/

We are looking for two Expressions of Interest from the community radio
sector (sorry, Ofcom licensed stations only) across the whole of the UK.

1)  To undertake the role of editorial coordination - we need an individual
or a station experienced in aggregating content produced by various stations
to produce packaged reports for re-broadcast.  NB the coordination will
involve aggregating content made by UK community radio stations and also
English language content produced by Euranet partners in other countries.
The subject matter for each week will be determined by the Euranet Editorial
Board and the UK coordinator will take part in that decision making in a
weekly teleconference.  The coordinator will also liaise with the CMA and
producing stations to ensure content quality control and delivery to agreed
deadlines.  Euranet estimates that the coordinator would need to be able to
devote 1.5 days a week for this work.

2) To be one of 10 producing stations, with a contract to produce UK content
for Euranet on the subject matter for the week.  One station will need to be
able to produce in Irish Gaelic.  The producing stations will be expected to
produce an average of 260 minutes per year.  They will also need to commit
to broadcasting their local content and the aggregated Euranet reports in a
prime time slot.  We intend that a small part of the money available will be
held back to allow some smaller stations to produce for Euranet on an ad hoc
basis, where the weekly theme fits well with their audience.  So even if you
do not think your station could undertake a regular commitment for
production, please do let us know if your station would be interested in
being an ad hoc producer.

Euranet only pays for production minutes, not for broadcasting.  However,
the whole of Euranet's content, in all the languages in which it currently
produces, would be available for free to any community station wanting to
carry its content, e.g. as part of the sustaining service or as part of more
generic multi-lingual programming a station already does.

Criteria for selection as a main producing station:

Full time licensed station
Up to date membership of the CMA
Ability to produce to the agreed quality standards and deadlines set by
Euranet
Commitment to broadcasting content at a prime time for your audience
Population/audience size

Please send us your details if you are interested in being part of this
project. If you are interested in undertaking the editorial coordination,
please let us know by next Friday, as we would want the coordinator to be
involved in the selection of producing stations.  If you are interested in
being one of the stations involved please let us know by the end of Monday
11th October.  There will be an open application process following receipt
of EoIs.

If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us,

Best wishes

Jaqui

--
Jaqui Devereux
Director, Community Media Association

This message has been scanned for all viruses by BTnet VirusScreen.
The service is delivered in partnership with MessageLabs.

This service does not scan any password protected or encrypted
attachments.

If you are interested in finding out more about the service,
please visit our website at
http://www.btignite.com/internetservices/btnet/products_virusscreen.htm

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the individual, persons or entity to whom it is addressed.
It may contain privileged and confidential information and, if you are not the intended recipient, you must not read, copy or distribute it, nor take any action in reliance upon it.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please inform the sender as soon as possible and delete the e-mail from your computer.

This message has been checked for all viruses by BTnet VirusScreen.