[cma-l] Community Radio - call for Expressions of Interest for small fund for production

London Chinese Radio admin at londonhuayu.co.uk
Fri Oct 1 15:18:43 BST 2010

Hi Jacqui,

Right at the moment I am writing a proposal for making English programmes
for another funder. This is because so many of our listeners can't speak
English, and my background is English teaching. We consider ourselves really
suitable for this kind of work, because in contrast to a "live" station, a
lot of our content is pre-recorded and edited to make packages. In a way a
lot of the time we work like a production house.

It's a real pity that Web stations are excluded, it seems we aren't taken
seriously by anyone. Actually if we had got a license, it would only be 2
miles in diameter, but it would have been worth it only because people would
have seen us as a "real" radio station.

Recently in the CMA discussion forums there have been quite a few
discussions and disagreements about the future of radio, but I notice that
people who buy web radio's are really happy with the choice of content and
the quality of the streams, which is better than DAB.

Anyway, for us it is a shame too, not so much about being excluded, but
about not being allowed into the exclusive club of licensed radio. Can't
even get past the bouncer....

Peter Vautier
London Chinese Radio

野火烧不尽,春风吹又生