[cma-l] radio scrappage scheme

Richard Hilton Richard.Hilton at bitc.org.uk
Fri May 21 14:50:57 BST 2010

In terms of the push behind this, below is an extract from Radio 7 weekly email.  I do think the word Amnesty is slightly emotive.  Knife amnesty, gun amnesty and now a radio amnesty.  I wasn't aware we were doing something wrong!

Richard

Hello again

We are all aware that radio is a powerful medium which can be used creatively to inspire, inform and educate young people.

For many children in parts of the world where books are a luxury and internet connectivity is rare and expensive, the medium of radio connects young people to one another, broadens their horizons and opens up a world of ideas, imagination and communication.

So I was very pleased to hear of a cooperative initiative between BBC and commercial radio to launch a " Radio Amnesty"

The Amnesty is being supported by major manufacturers and the majority of retailers in the UK, and launches this week.

The premise is that radio listeners will be invited to trade in their old portable analogue radios for a spanking new DAB radio.

Participating retailers will offer a variety of discounts between 22nd May and 26th June on a selected range of DAB radios.

When customers hand in their old battery-operated portable radios, the radios will be collected from a central point and those in reasonable working order will be re-conditioned, re-packaged and distributed to children's charities in South Africa. Radios not reconditioned will be recycled under the WEEE (the Environment Agency's Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive)

Amongst the projects being supported by this laudable enterprise is an initiative at the Red Cross War Memorial Children's Hospital in Cape Town, to establish a Hospital Radio Station. The Children's Radio Foundation (CRF) is already working with a group of long-term young patients, encouraging and training them to produce their own radio stories which will be broadcast on the CRF weekly show in South Africa, The Radio Workshop.

The reconditioned radios will be made available to children in hospital wards, enabling them to tune into the magical world of radio. Radios will also be distributed to children in areas of extreme poverty, such as northern KwaZulu-Natal, where the Radio Workshop helps to train young reporters to produce radio programmes in their home language of isiZulu.

In addition to benefitting from trading in an "old for new" radio, you will be helping a deserving and worthwhile cause. Please note that only battery operated radios can be reconditioned (due to health and safety guidelines mains operated radios cannot be included)

You can get more information on the  Radio Amnesty by visiting www.getdigitalradio.com<http://www.getdigitalradio.com>.

Do listen out for the trails, voiced by Stephen Fry, and which will be broadcast on Radio 2, 4 and 7 starting this weekend.

But now on to the programmes you can look forward to on Radio 7 in the coming week: